General Financial Services Financial Services
Rwanda’s financial sector has made great strides towards becoming modern. The sector is stable, well capitalized, profitable and liquid. The sector consists of a wide and growing array of institutions: banks microfinance institutions, savings and credit cooperatives (SACCOs), insurance companies, and pension funds are becoming increasingly diversified.
- - A developed, thriving economy and a financial hub in Africa.
- - Agricultural financing - several innovations/products (weather-based crop insurance, warehouse receipt schemes, etc.) can be introduced to improve value chains within the agriculture sector.
- - SME financing - attracting financial institutions and experienced in SME financing, enhancing private equity and venture capital funds and establishment of a Rwanda Fund of Funds will help to increase access to finance for this category of enterprises.
- - International bank repo offices - the presence of global banks will help to introduce a variety of products designed to finance big projects borne by both government and private sector such as infrastructure financing, transaction advisory services for privatization of government projects, trade finance, cash trade, and pension fund management
- - Real estate investment trust (REITs) - Financing and supply options for affordable housing through investing in real estate by buying shares and the funds raised will be used to construct houses for low and middle market segments.
- - Diversification of the financial services industry and increased long term savings.